Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:33:54 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: vinvalbuf: dirty bufs (during reboot, several times)

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 11:00:55PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Hmm.  Interesting, it's dying trying to fsync an FFS vnode.   Are you
>     by any chance running NFS ( client *or* server ) on this box?

No, no NFS compiled in and am not using it. See my kernel config.

>     First, if either of you are compiling up your own kernels, please
>     remember that if you are using SOFTUPDATES, the SOFTUPDATES code
>     does *NOT* reside in /usr/src/sys but instead resides in
>     /usr/src/contrib/sys ... when you update your kernel, also make sure
>     that /usr/src/contrib/sys is updated.

I know this, but checked it to be sure,
yes I use the 'up to date' softupdate source from contrib/sys.

 *      from: @(#)ffs_softdep.c 9.28 (McKusick) 8/8/98
 *      $Id: ffs_softdep.c,v 1.20 1999/01/07 16:14:10 bde Exp $

 *      @(#)softdep.h   9.5 (McKusick) 2/11/98
 *      $Id: softdep.h,v 1.4 1998/05/19 23:07:25 julian Exp $

>     If I can reproduce it on one of my machines, I can probably figure out
>     what is going on.  If both of you are running NFS, it could possibly be
>     the NFS server forgetting to unbusy a page somewhere.  If you aren't
>     running NFS, it could be an actual bug in FFS somewhere(!).

No NFS.

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?