Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:22:54 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   One last thing on upgrading...

At 03:21 AM 7/23/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

>Many of you might not realise that "upgrading" FreeBSD is not at all
>like "upgrading" Windows, for example. If you don't follow the correct
>advice and proceed with great care YOU CAN EASILY KILL YOUR SYSTEM.

One more thing I'd like to point out.  The "Upgrade an existing system"
option in sysinstall has never "killed my system" completely as far as
destroying all files on the system, clearing the partition/slices or
anything (I've used it many times) - however, it's **NOTORIOUS for frying
the contents of /etc**, which contains all your most important
configuration files.  If anyone chooses to use it, BACK UP /ETC, INCLUDING
SUBDIRECTORIES OF /ETC, first.  Then, *make sure* to go through the "post
install configuration" after the upgrade, as usually the "upgrade existing
system" clears the root password as well as some of the other
configurations you had previously set up.  But afaik it won't literally
KILL the system.  Sue is right though, you need to proceed with CAUTION!
MAKE BACKUPS!!!!!

That's the last I'll say on this, since I don't know if Sue considers this
a "questionary" type post or not.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.