Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:29:31 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Christer Solstrand Johannessen <christer@csj.no>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lingua franca file system Linux-NetBSD-FreeBSD?

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:09:04 -0400, Christer Solstrand Johannessen <christer@csj.no> wrote:
> If there are no Windows clients involved, I'd use NFS or AFS;

Yes, I forgot to mention NFS. Of course it works, as the support
for it in UNIX, Linux, BSD and Mac OS X is sufficiently good. But
it may not be a solution in a one-PC-setting. :-)

> with
> Windows in the mix, CIFS/Samba may be a better choice as Windows NFS
> clients are dodgy at best.

I've also seen enclosures for hard disks including a CIFS share
management system via their network connection. A built-in browser-
accessible configuration tool can be used for customization. As
there is no separate software on the hard disk itself, the disk
can be replaced easily (if full or defective). This would be an
acceptable add-on for the PC in a one-PC-setting.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany