Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 00:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        "Paul Fu, Jr." <quark@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with installation

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Paul Fu, Jr. wrote:

> I get 8 conflicts, 7 of which are in the networking section. I have a
> Netgear FA311 10/100 NIC and this is not one of the selections that
> are listed.  If I delete all of the NIC configurations and then
> continue, I go into the device probing section where it promptly
> freezes after displaying:
>
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x100b, dev=0x0020) at 10.0 irq 10
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x125d, dev=0x1988) at 11.0 irq 12
>
> I've tried to pick one of the network cards that are listed and hard
> configure the IRQ and port, but get the same problem. IRQ 10 is the
> NIC. IRQ 12, strangely enough, looks like my mouse (plugged into
> serial port).

That stuff in visual config is all ISA cards, IIRC.  Unless someone
corrects me, don't worry about that too much.  As long as the install gets
going, none of that visual user config stuff is "set in stone."

You might try looking at the website under "supported configurations" to
see if your card is listed.  It is possbile that your card is supported by
the system but not in the GENERIC kernel that is on the boot floppy.

Since you have a CDROM, don't worry about the network hardware config
until you get the OS installed.  Once you get the OS installed, you might
be able to get the device support you need by building a custom kernel.

(Mind you these are just things to think about.  I did not check to see if
your card is supported.)

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells