Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 23:27:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, ludwigp@bigfoot.com
Cc:        conrads@neosoft.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Advice on audio strategy needed

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:11:47 -0700 Ludwig Pummer said:
>At 10:29 AM 6/26/97 -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>>Most likely he has an Intel motherboard which you can indeed disable the
>>CS4232C. At any rate Sujal Patel's PnP stuff should be able also to disable
>>the CS4232c however the BIOS will still reserve the CS4232c's IRQs
>>which translates to wasting IRQ during the BIOS init.
>
>Sounds like he has the Intel Atlantis (Advanced/AS), which has the CS4232C
>soundcard-on-a-chip, and an ATI mach64 video card (video card is optional)
>built into the motherboard. From Intel's Atlantis FAQ
>(http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/as/as_inst.HTM):
>-----

	[FAQ info deleted (but it's in my files...]

>Obviously, not very friendly to non-Micro$oft systems.
>--Ludwig Pummer

Why am I not surprised ? :^<  But it fits in with what we've always
known, if a board will work with Windoze, then it's "good enough."

Can you tell, I spend more time worrying about equipment that will
work well under FreeBSD (& similar os's) than Win95 :^/

Sigh.  Now I have the other problem.  Client has 20 workstations to
be upgraded from Win 3.1 & 386/486 to P-class & Win95.  Now I have to
find out which mainboards are solid under Win95 & don't cost an arm &
a leg...  Their mailserver/router will be a FreeBSD box, I know what to
use there! :^>

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting