Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 1996 10:38:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        rwiggins@mitre.org (Rita Wiggins)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freeBSD

> i tried to install freeBSD on my computer(Pentium 100), but it
> apparently departitioned to hard drive and im currently trying
> to recover it. How do you install freeBSD and still keep the partitions
> so that DOS/Windows 95 (and the rest of the hard drive) are still
> functionable?

I assume you were installing FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE. Could you describe
your disk configuration a bit? THere is one caveat with 2.1: When
you are installing on a disk 1 it may mess your disk 0.

When you want to install it on disk 0 you should fdisk disk 0
such there is enough free space for a FreeBSD partition. There is
also a tool, FIPS.EXE in the CD's tools directory which allows
you to shrink an existing DOS partition (this method is not guaranteed
but it works in 99% of all cases). Then boot the install floppy,
Express install is a good choice unless you want to do something special.
Partition and Label the FreeBSD portion and go ahead installing.

Not that you can remove a FreeBSD boot loader from the master boot
record with the DOS FDISK/MBR command. And also note that
a Win95 installation clobbers the MBR (FreeBSD primary boot sector).