Date:      Wed, 19 May 2010 21:35:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      vogelke+unix@pobox.com (Karl Vogel)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bash lockups

>> On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:14:52 -0700,
>> Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> said:

C> I have been experimenting with FreeBSD for a while, and I consistently
C> get bash lockups at irregular intervals when it is otherwise idle.
C> Does anybody have any suggestings on how I could try to trace this?

   1.  Get a process-table list every minute or so via cron.  It might show
       something else running or trying to run when you have your lockups.
       Try "ps -axw -o user,pid,ppid,pgid,tt,start,time,command".

   2.  Get the PID of the bash session, and run something like this as root:

       pid=12345
       k=1
       while true; do
           truss -p $pid 2>&1 | head -1000 > /dir-with-lots-of-space/$k
           k=`expr $k + 1`
       done

       This should break the truss output into 1000-line chunks and let you
       clean out the directory before it chews up all your space.  Hopefully
       one of the truss files will show something useful after a lockup.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

REMOTE CONTROL - female, because it gives a man pleasure, he'd be lost
without it, and while he doesn't always know the right buttons to push,
he keeps trying.                   --from the "What gender are they?" list