Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 06:01:55 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Probing KBD.

>: The probe is supposed to time out after 5 seconds, but it has well-known
>: bugs that somehow haven't been fixed in either 2.1 or -current.  After
>: timing out after 5 seconds, it executes an endless loop.

>: The keyboard is only initialized at probe time, so it may not work if
>: it is plugged in later.

>	I have a proposal of a simple change to a console driver,
>	inspired with what I have seen on BSDI:

>	if it can't probe the keyboard, it then happily shouts
>	something like -- "Hey, there isn't a keyboard here! I'm now
>	acting as a black-box router!" -- to the console,
>	and goes on booting.

syscons is supposed to print "scprobe: keyboard won't accept reset
command" and continue, but because of the bug it rarely prints this
(never if there is a keyboard attached).

The keyboard should be initialized after every console switch in case
X owned the keyboard and messed up something, e.g., the keyboard
repeat rate.

Bruce