Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:07:38 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buffer Problems and hangs in 4.0-CURRENT..

* Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net> [000312 13:50] wrote:

> > >  Not a whole lot done, I had the MAXUSERS set to 128, though am about to
> > > bump it to 256 when I rebuild to see if that helps.  I used to have some
> > > tunables for BSDI when I used it, but when I tried to apply them to FBSD
> > > it bitched about them being unknown so I just left them out.  Was also
> > > going to move NMBCLUSTERS up to 20480, not sure if thats the solution or
> > > not.  I can post the whole config if desired, but really it's very close
> > > to the GENERIC except I added SOFTUPDATES, and removed all the drivers I
> > > didn't need for my system to hopefully slim it down some..
> >
> > grrrr, you _still_ haven't even told me how much RAM is in the box
> > and what else it does if anything.
> >
> > Without that kind of information I'm not too comfortable giving
> > advice on tuneables because I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TUNING :), when
> > I've just blindly told people to increase NMBCLUSTERS they've had
> > other problems because the kernel's network buffers wired down all
> > the machine's memory.
> >
> > Yes, increasing NMBLCUSTERS is a good thing, but without your
> > configuration it's hard to say how much to increase it.
> >
> > --
> > -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
>

> Sorry, thought you were asking about the kernel configs, not the
> hardware configs.  Here is my current running config via dmesg, as
> I think that covers it all..
>

> Copyright (c) 1992-2000 The FreeBSD Project.
> real memory  = 402587648 (393152K bytes)
> config> q
> avail memory = 387334144 (378256K bytes)
> Programming 24 pins in IOAPIC #0
> IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq 0
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
>  cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  0, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
>  cpu1 (AP):  apic id:  1, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
>  io0 (APIC): apic id:  2, version: 0x00170011, at 0xfec00000
>
> Did I miss anything important you need??

No that's fine, I run several machines with maxusers at 512 and
NMBCLUSTERS at 32768 (although the ram is usually at 512 to a 1024),
let me know if you have any problems with those settings though as
I'd like to know if they are set too high for heavy load.

I would also suggest using fxp cards (Intel Ether Express Pro) in
the future, they are definetly my favorite.