Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 05:59:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting CPU usage in FreeBSD

Felipe Paulo Guazzi Bergo <guazzibe@dcc.unicamp.br> wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > I am the author of gPS (http://gps.seul.org) and I'm trying to finish the
 > FreeBSD native poller. All I need now is a routine to get the CPU usage.
 > [...]
 > I've already looked at the source of top but couldn't get much from there.

I'd recommend that you look at the vmstat source, located at
/usr/src/usr.bin/vmstat.c.  In particular, look at the line

   kread(X_CPTIME, cur.cp_time, sizeof(cur.cp_time));

Then look up the definition of kread() in the same file, and
how the contents of cur.cp_time are used in the cpustats()
function.  Note that "cur" is a "struct statinfo", which is
defined in /usr/include/devstat.h.  The CPU states are defined
in /usr/include/sys/dkstat.h.

That should get you going.  :-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)