Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:01:53 -0400
From:      Keith Stevenson <keith.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideas concerning fsck

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 02:57:16PM +0200, Marius Bendiksen wrote:

> I made no claim wrt that. The reference to "less magic in the boot
> sequence" was related to discovering the boot device and such. And
> it would be possible for us to remove the need to rely on the root
> filesystem being uncorrupt.

Ok.  I must have misunderstood.

> > The bootfs idea is pretty neat.  I would like to see it implemented in
> > FreeBSD, especially if it would make vinum disks usable for the / filesystem.
>
> I use this whenever I do vinum based solutions, by having a minimal root
> filesystem as a memory filesystem, then starting vinum to be able to bring
> up the real root filesystem.

Is there documentation somewhere on how to do this?  I've looked at the
memory based filesystem stuff before, but was unable to figure out what steps
needed to be performed in order to boot from it.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville