Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:25:23 -0500
From:      Michael Hernandez <sequethin@gmail.com>
To:        "Huy Ton That" <huyslogic@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSHD Help?

On Mar 13, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Huy Ton That wrote:

> I am sure I am lacking the technical knowledge to get this running
> but.  I
> setup (more like started) the sshd daemon.  Now I have this system
> setup at
> home and am just using it for experimenting.  When I try to SSH
> into it, it
> queries me for my user name, in which case I am logging in as
> root.  I key
> in roots password (is this password the same as the main root
> password?) and
> it returns permission denied, please try again.
>
> I'm guessing I am not asking the right questions but I was under the
> assumption that the password would be the same as root or whatever
> user I'm
> trying to login?  Any tutorials?  I'm going crazy :(.

First, you should create a regular user for yourself. It's a Bad Idea
(tm) to be root unless you have to be.
If you haven't disabled root login via ssh, you should be able to ssh
as root (afaik) but it's still a Bad Idea(tm).
If you have an account created and you set the password, then you
should be able to log in with that user
and password. If have been editing your sshd or other ssh related
config files you should undo whatever
you did, and try again. If you still can't login but you are getting
prompted for a user and password... then
make sure you don't have caps lock on (it happens) and make sure you
are connecting to the right machine.
It's possible that a machine has an address very similar to yours and
you are trying to ssh into the wrong
box :) That happened to me once too haha.

Mike