Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 1996 22:45:31 GMT
From:      Philip Burden <phil.burden@zetnet.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD v2.1

Dear sirs,I'm having a slight problem installing v2.1.

Firstly,the installation..

dx2/66 with 16m ram
1.2G IDE drive as primary hd
633Mb SCSI 1 on a AHA2940 adapter,with HP Dat drive.
IDE ATAPI CDRom cdrom connected to the 2nd channel of onboard IDE controller.

I'm trying to install FreeBSD on the last,380Mb partition on the Scsi
drive,after Dos & OS/2,using OS/2's Boot Manager.

The install goes ok,from the ATAPI floppy,but when it ends,and the
system reboots,I get the following,after the kernel is loaded and
checks the devices.

panic:can't mount /root

same message every time,and so far I'm upto around 8 installs <grin>
I realise the Atapi interface is alpha,but all seems ok on each
install,with no error msgs visible.Any thoughts,or is more info
required..needless to say,being a novice,I'm using the Novice install ;-)

P.