Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:59:15 +0100
From:      "Gallagher, Mick" <mick.gallagher@roke.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RZ100 ATA Controller Problem - Possible Workaround??

Hi All,

I recently wrote to this list with a mail under the subject "Big
Installation Problems".

Basically, so far as I understand, FreeBSD 4.0 won't install on my machine
because of driver problems with the RZ100 ATA controller.

Apparently this controller was fairly common on early Pentium machines.

And so what's the next step for anyone in possession of an RZ100?

In order to help me figure out my options, here are some questions...

1) FreeBSD commitment to old hardware

I guess its likely that development priorities are more focussed on newer
hardware problems, rather than problems associated with older kit. So am I
realistically going to see a fix for this anytime soon?

2) 3.4 Installation Floppies with 4.0 CDROM

I'm new to FreeBSD, so please forgive me if I'm asking an outstandingly
stupid question: In the absence of a 4.0 RZ100 fix, can I use installation
floppies from a previous release to kick-start the installation from my 4.0
CDROM? Or is the 4.0 CDROM going to overwrite the kernel drivers from the
floppy anyhow?

3) Back to 3.4

Is my only realistic course of action to install 3.4 (is it 3.4?) and forget
4.0 (for now)?

Advice and opinions gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mick Gallagher

---
mickg@iname.com