Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:12:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Welk <mw@freibergnet.de>
To:        Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: AHA2940U2W and 2.2.8

On 12-Jan-99 Larry Baird wrote:

()  Well it looks like I made an ordering mistake.  I have several systems
()  that
()  I had planned to run 2.2.8 along with Adaptec AHA2940U2W controllers
()  and
()  the corresponding ultra2 hard disks.  I now realize that only 3.0
()  supports this
()  controller using CAM.
()
(...)
()
()  Does anybody have a work around?

Wait until a 3.0-STABLE tree exists and use FreeBSD 3.0 native. It brings
some more advantages and of course CAM. We have it running on three
machines with an Asus P2B-S (UW-SCSI onboard) and they work fine. They
act as a server machine (1) and desktop machines (2). They donīt have
a significant high load yet, but are running steadily and doing this
and that, also things like "make buildworld" and compiling ghostscript
or postgresql fine... We didnīt experience heavy problems, so simply
try if it good enough for your purpose and maybe a 3.0-STABLE will be
available meanwhile. Unfortunately, upgrading from 2.2-somewhat or
3.0-RELEASE will definitely make some work, as there are some things
you have to look carefully for, especially if you want to use ELF kernels.
Perhaps you should read the current mailing list for problems you may
run into.

You can also run CAM with 2.2, but we havenīt tried that but made good
experiences with 3.0-CURRENT in the last months.

Perhaps you can put a 3.0-RELEASE on one of your machines, install a base
installation, upgrade it and copy that to all of the other machines you
are going to buy?

Regards,

Martin
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR                   Martin Welk * Sales, Support
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781387