Date:      05 Nov 2002 08:50:11 +0100
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix auth problems on one system, not the other

minter@lunenburg.org ("H. Wade Minter") writes:

> This is a tale of two postfix installs.
>
> Install one was on a clean 4.7 system, and works like a charm.  Using
> pwcheck_pam, everything's peachy.
>
> On the other system, also a 4.7 install, currently running sendmail, I'm
> attempting to migrate to postfix.  Everything seems to be working fine,
> except I cannot get SMTP AUTH to work properly.
>
> I've got pwcheck_pam running, just like on System 1.
> /usr/local/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf contains:
> pwcheck_method: pwcheck
>
> just like on System 1.
>
> However, when I connect to System 2, and do an AUTH PLAIN
> (base64-encoded-string), it hangs for 5 seconds or so and spits back
> "Authentication failed", whereas on System 1, it immediately returns with
> authentication accepted.
>
> One clue - when I truss pwcheck_pam on System 1, it shows lots of
> activity.  When I truss it on System 2, there's no activity at all.
>
> So it looks like System 2 isn't even contacting the pwcheck daemon to try
> to auth the password.
>
> I'm at my wit's end, so hopefully someone will be able to point me toward
> something to try to get this working.  Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Package info, System 1:
> cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_7
> postfix-1.1.11,1
>
> Package info, System 2:
> cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_7
> postfix-1.1.11,1

With any postfix question always provide the following:
1. output of postconf -n (non default configurations)
2. output of /var/log/maillog

In your case it may also be useful to enable debugging in smtpd by
modifying master.cf and adding a -v line, and then restarting postfix
with postfix reload.

Hope this helps track down the problem.

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd, Postfix RPM Packager, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
email: sjmudd@pobox.com, Tel: +31-627-592 627