Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 02:01:38 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Valko Yotov <yotov@infotel.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD comprehensive details

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 at 11:52:05 +0300, Valko Yotov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD and UNIX. Can you tell me where, I can find
> comprehensive details about how UNIX (FreeBSD) works.  I mean I find
> lot of information how to install, setup, configure, work with
> commands etc. but I can't find info how FreeBSD is builded and details
> about arhitecture and how all parts of the system (kernel, daemons,
> process, devices etc.) interact each other.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/ may help a bit.  Same goes for the man
pages which you should've installed when you installed FreeBSD.

> I mean that I easely install FreeBSD, but to work with it, I need
> more in depth explanation how it works in details, not something like
> that kernel interact with application with system calls.

Some of this may be covered in the ``FreeBSD Internals'' chapter in the
handbook (URL above), but I'm not quite sure -- it's been a while since
I've looked at that chapter.  Sending mail to hackers@FreeBSD.org with
specific questions might find you some help too, and searching the
mailing lists (http://www.FreeBSD.org/search/) couldn't hurt either.

> I'll be very grateful if you are able to tell me whre to find
> comprehensive information how FreeBSD works.  And I also thing that
> will be a good idea to publish that info on your www.freebsd.org site
> too.

We're currently working on a ``Developer's Handbook'' which should
include this kind of stuff.  I don't have an ETA as to when it'll be on
the web site though.

- jim

--
/* jim mock - berkeley software design, inc - open source division */
/* documentation manager - jim@FreeBSD.org - jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com */