Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:51:09 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boston Globe Article (fwd)

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:
> I must mention that individual articles for newspapers (and from
> magazines) do have value by themselves.

The "big enchilada" from a payoff perspective is "First rights",
e.g. "First North American Publishing rights".

> Often, articles (including newspapers) are written by freelancers that
> retain the rights to republish -- and they do. So by even using one
> article and republishing, you could be dimishing the value of that one
> single article. (Many freelancers' entire livelihood is based on trying to
> republish and republish the same articles again and again.)

Even with your intransigent attitude, you have to admit that
the FreeBSD-chat mailing list is the moral equivalent of a small
circulation free home buyer's home buyer's guide.  I could
probably pay "damages" with the coins in my pocket (and probably
already did, when I purchased a copy of the paper because I knew
it had the article in it).

> Personally, I'd find
> it unethical and illegal if someone copied verbatim one of my website's
> articles and republished into a wide public forum without permission. I
> can assume that the other BSD media websites editors (and professional
> freelancers) wouldn't like their articles republished (without
> permission), since it may stop traffic to their site and lessens the value
> of the article that could have been sold elsewhere (like in some print
> media).

Now weigh pursuing legal action, against pissing off ~5000 people,
some of whom are probably willing to cancel their Boston Globe or
affiliated media subscriptions over what was an obvious attempt at
"fair use" of the article in a forum which would not have seen it
otherwise, and which can be documented to have sold a number of
papers through said exposure.

P.S.: I am still waiting for the correction over who coined the term
"Open Source".

-- Terry