Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:50:32 +0100
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org, "Jurij Kovacic, OCPEA d.o.o." <jurij.kovacic@ocpea.com>
Subject:   Re: Java threads on multiple processor cores

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 04:46:12 +0100, Jurij Kovacic, OCPEA d.o.o.
<jurij.kovacic@ocpea.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running JBoss application server inside a jail on FreeBSD 8.3.
> Since the server has a quad-core processor, it would be efficient if the
> java process (and its threads) could utilize more than 1 CPU core at a
> time, which is not currently the case.
>
> Is it possible to acomplish this (perhaps with the use of a proper
> threading library) or am I barking up the wrong tree?
>
> Thank you for your reply,
> Jurij

I don't think there is a clear answer on this. It all depends on what is
running in your JBoss application server. If that application does not use
more than one thread, there is nothing going to use the other cores. If
your application uses multiple threads and you are sure they should all be
calculating very hard than you should debug the application for
bottlenecks. And look if the bottleneck is in the application code, in the
JDK or in FreeBSD. This is not possible without inside information of what
your application is doing.

Ronald.