Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:45:02 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        jkb@best.com, current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Subject:   Re: booting systems with lots of memory

"Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com> wrote:
>Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any obvious things we have missed? I assume the kernel load
>> address is read by /boot/loader from the kernel's ELF header, so that
>> a recent loader can cope. I also assume that the patch included below
>> tweaks all of the required knobs.
>
>	Yes, you need to patch load_elf.c

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply. Will /boot/loader still be able
to boot old kernels after this patch? (I'm reluctant to completely
hose the machine...)

Also, w.r.t. the serial console problems, can I set the baud rate
early in the boot sequence, and if so, how? The console works once
getty puts up a login prompt but not before then, and I get a whole
lot of garbage that I guess is baud barf (I wouldn't know for sure --
too much of a newbie).

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  dot@dotat.at  fanf@demon.net