Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:59:37 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: installworld gotchas

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> The new libc is incompatible with some old applications, but I'm not
> too sure why.  The lock was added at the end of FILE...

It's very incompatible.  I happened to compile make(1) with the new
stdio.h and the old libc.a (partly because unrelated changes broke
compilation of libc).  It did not work at all (it always found
everything up to date).  I would have thought that make(1) didn't
know enough about the internals of FILE to even care about new fields
in the middle, since things like getc() are no longer macros (it
hopefully doesn't used the vestiges of these things which are now
misplaced in stdio.h).

Bruce