Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 02:08:39 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Breaking up make.conf

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

I've been thinking a bit about how to break up the monolithic
make.conf, which is starting to grow a bit unwieldy of late.  The
other advantage is that with a broken-up make.conf you can easily have
e.g. different CFLAGS settings for src builds, port builds, and
"manual" builds, and we reduce namespace pollution quite a bit.

Moving port config options to a ports.conf is trivial, since all ports
include ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk, so the .include can be done there.

Moving world config options to a world.conf is a bit more tricky,
because we need a way to tell whether we're building in src/ (and not
just using 'make world').  The only way I can think to do this is to
have everything include ../Makefile.inc back up to the root of the
tree, which sets a BUILDING_WORLD variable that is used (in bsd.obj.mk
and possibly other makefiles) to control the inclusion of
/etc/world.conf and /etc/defaults/world.conf.  It's a bit messy, but I
can't seem to see any better way.

We already have partial coverage from most of the second-level
directories like bin/cat, etc, which are leaf nodes and include
bin/Makefile.inc, so providing coverage to every directory containing
a makefile which we descend into amounts to adding

.include "../Makefile.inc"

statements to Makefile.inc files which are missing them, and adding
new Makefile.inc files where they are missing (I don't know yet
whether this will have any other side-effects to the build process).
By my calculations, this requires about 91 new Makefile.inc files to
provide complete coverage.

What do people think of the approach?  Is there any easier way I'm
missing?  Is world.conf even desirable?

Kris

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--