Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:38:13 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   startribune.com article

   Well, I just read the Star Tribune artice and came away with a very
different impression. I thought it was very imbalanced, gloomy, and
defeatest. It makes us sound as though we're just an irrelevent player
with an extremely small following of snobish hackers. It's true that
Linux is winning the PR game, but I think the conclusions that are drawn
from that are hasty and unthoughtful at best. Further, it didn't do enough
to talk about how strong we are (our large installed base and long list
of prominent sites using FreeBSD - only two were mentioned). Further, it
didn't really talk about the real reason why Linux has been so popular,
which I believe is because Linux is positioned more toward the desktop
market - a far far larger market than the server market that we've focused
on. Of course there is also the popularity (youth, underdog, poor College
student) of Linus among the 15-23 year old contingent, something that we
can't compete with.
   The whole thing read to me as just another propaganda piece that you'd
expect to see come out of the mouth of Linus or Eric Raymond. Puke.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.