Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:24:58 -0400
From:      "Gene Bomgardner" <Gene@Bomgardner.net>
To:        Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ok, what did I break this time??

>          I assumed it was a relaying denied, hence why I asked about the
> relaying files.
>
>          Both.  But not from the box.  So if I'm logged in locally, I can
> send fine, same if I telnet to the IP of the machine and localhost when
> sending mail from that machine.  Anything outside just outright gets blocked.

I had a similar problem. Got relaying denied whenever trying to
send mail from outside the FBSD box. I discovered that since I don't
run named, I needed to make sure that /etc/hosts accurately
reflected the name and ip of the machine I was sending from. Once
I did that, voila, no more problem.

Hope this helps.
 Gene