Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:25:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/60535: devel/sdl12 needs increment of epoch

>Number:         60535
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       devel/sdl12 needs increment of epoch
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD client.semyam.dinoco.de 4.9-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p1 #5: Sat Dec 13 09:52:10 CET 2003     seggers@client.semyam.dinoco.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLIENT  i386

The port devel/sdl12 was updated from 1.2.5_3 to 1.2.6 (see pr/57475).  Later this was improperly undone.

Problems with this:

1. The ports is still changed, though the comment says it was backing out the commit. Makefile version 1.69 (before the change) and 1.71 (after the attempt to back it out) differ. Other files might be affected, too.

2. For cases where the new version number is decrementing like this attempt to undo the commit of the update to 1.2.6 one has to increment PORTEPOCH.
>How-To-Repeat:
I installed libxine (depends on sdl12) before the update of sdl12 to 1.2.6.  Then I updated the ports collection on the evening of 2003/12/20 (caught a version between the update of sdl12 to 1.2.6 and the attempted back out) and did an update of sdl12.

After the update of sdl12 to 1.2.6 and the attempted back out I updated my ports collection again.  With "portversion -l \<" I look for outdated ports and sdl is not among them so leave it alone.

But now I have an out of date version of libxine on my system which I intended to update.  This is the last thing heard from "portupdate libxine":

===>  An older version of devel/sdl12 is already installed (sdl-1.2.6)
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/sdl12
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.

>Fix:
Add the line "PORTEPOCH=1" to the Makefile of port sdl12 and reset PORTREVISION to 0.

Besides, really back it out in order to restore the old version.  See the spotted change in the Makefile.  Maybe there are other files that changed from the old to the new 1.2.5_3?