Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 13:44:47 +1100
From:      The Shuzza Man <shuzza@qd.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gummibear@we.mediaone.net
Subject:   Re: Unix Desktop

At 13:33 24/12/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Anyways, I still have alot to learn about the system and how it works.
>Mostly I think I should really get into C programming to fully understand
>how it functions internally.
Very good idea. I think the computer industry has been set back by the need
to build totally user friendly operating systems and applications that
hopefully run without the user knowing a thing about whats going on. The
beauty of Freebsd is that you have the opportunity to snoop around in the
source code if you get a problem instead of having to call a tech support
number and have them tell you to reinstall! Ive had Windows apps crash on
me, reinstalled them and they work again for a while. This doesn't tend to
happen with FreeBSD. If something crashes, it does it for a good reason and
it needs to be fixed!
If you're going to use an operating system like FreeBSD, you are selling
yourself short by not knowing how to look at the code.

>I mostly use my system as a Desktop alternative to Windows 95.  Windows 95
>may have alot of internal problems and stability problems, but the
>interface really isn't that bad.  Everything seems to look and work well
>together, such as icons, menus, toolbars that dock along the side, etc.  As
>far as appearance goes, it all seems to lookg good (although sometimes it
>doesn't work so great).

This goes back to the industries current unspoken rule: If you can't make
it good, at least make it look good. Sure it's a totally unreliable,
unsecure piece of junk but hey look at all the pretty buttons. Good looks
don't make the O/S.

>On the other hand, on my X desktop I've used KDE and WindowMaker and both
>are pretty nice.  Window Maker has the cool Next-like look and feel. It
>looks nice and keeps it's Unix attitude.  It also doesn't take a whole lot
>of memory to run, which is really nice!!  KDE makes the system usable to MS
>Windows users, and it all keeps a good level of interface standardization
>(ala KDE style) and it has alot of neat applications of it's own.  It seems
>to look like OS/2, Windows 95, and MacOS all roled into one.  Only problem,
>it's a resource hog.
>
>Lately, I have basically evaluating the X Windows system, and I just can't
>figure out why it hasn't been made any easier for average users.  I can't
>figure out why antialiased fonts (such as true type fonts) haven't been
>made the standard.  I can't figure out why there hasn't been a solution to
>the problem of not having a standardized Interface (or a few standardized
>interfaces to choose from when developing applications or whatever - choice
>isn't a bad thing).  I can't figure out why the standard X libraries and
>widget set hasn't been given the 90's look and feel (ala qt libraries).
Xfree86 is free.
A lot of hard working people put a lot of hours into it because they
believe in what they are doing. The windows gui is built to offer no
customization so hopefully stupid people won't break it. It just doesn't
work that way. There are several Commercial X servers available that have
theyre own customization built in so you don't have to do anything. I Think
you'll find as a general rule, anything in Freebsd tends to be hard at
first but once you have a go, read some documentation and fool around with
it, It becomes a lot easier to work with than windows based stuff. This is
because you REALLY know whats going on. You have a full grasp of the
situation rather than just fumbling with a few menus and buttons.

>I guess my biggest gripe is the font thing, because my girlffried keeps
>bitching about it.  She does alot of work in photoshop using true type
>fonts.  I know there are true type font servers for X windows, but she like
>the ability to easily install and delete fonts with a click of a mouse
>button and having the system do it's magic automatically.  And that's what
>keeps me from getting Windows 95 once and for all.

You have to Remember FreeBSD is the best Network Operating system available
today.
It's not strictly designed to be a desktop but this doesn't mean that it
can't be used for that purpose! It is incredibly customizable and it's this
flexibility that makes it great.
I dont think drag 'n' drop fonts are a huge concern. Read some old mail
from the archive, check out some documentation and you may find it can do a
lot more than you expected.

>Well actually that's one reason I don't get rid of windows. She also likes
>AOL Instant Messager so she can keep in contact with her family.  The tcl
>version seems to need some work.  I don't know anything about the java
>version to evaluate it.

Really?
I found it very very easy to install and use.
What sort of problems did you have?

Later!

Ben Shurey
(Superguy)