Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:02:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Increasing maximum file descriptors (for max sockets)

I have a server running that needs several hundred connections.  Just now
we ran into a problem (at the time we had 200+ conns to the server in
question) and the whole box froze (current version is 2.2.2-R).  logs:

Dec 17 14:20:24 ice syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
Dec 17 14:20:24 ice /kernel: file: table is full
Dec 17 14:20:24 ice last message repeated 96 times

And so on.  On first glimpse through the kernel config file I can't seem
to find anything to increase the amount of file descriptors.  Where is
this done?  I cannot find anything about it in the docs...

-Brandon