Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 1999 20:17:08 -0400
From:      "James E. Housley" <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        frank@tinker.exit.com
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P2B-DS versus SMP.

Frank Mayhar wrote:

> Well, I went out and bought another PII 400 for my box, flashed my BIOS to
> 1.009, installed the processor, and built 3.2-stable for SMP.  I experienced
> the same clock problems others have seen.  I took a suggestion I saw in
> -hackers and flashed back to 1.006.  Sure enough, the problems went away.
>
> I would strongly urge anyone with one of these motherboards who is trying to
> do SMP to contact ASUS (at tsd@asus.com) and report the problem.  Maybe we
> can actually either get the BIOS fixed, or see what FreeBSD is doing wrong,
> if anything.  (I sent my email to them this morning.)
> --

Following multiple suggestions I got stats running on my ASUS P2B-D 3.x-Stable BIOS 1.008 by enabling APM in the bios and adding the following to my kernel.  It didn't work until I added the flag 0x0020

#
# Notes on APM
#  The flags takes the following meaning for apm0:
#    0x0020  Statclock is broken.
#    0x0011  Limit APM protocol to 1.1 or 1.0
#    0x0010  Limit APM protocol to 1.0
#
device          apm0    at isa? flags 0x0020

Jim.
---
 James E. Housley                            PGP:   1024/03983B4D
 System Supply, Inc.                         2C 3F 3A 0D A8 D8 C3 13
 Pager: pagejim@notepage.com                 7C F0 B5 BF 27 8B 92 FE

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed FreeBSD"