Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:54:08 +0100
From:      Karl Dietz <Karl.Dietz@triplan.com>
To:        Dmitry Karasik <dk@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crypt() default behavior

Dmitry Karasik wrote:

> I just bumped into problem that passwords encoded on 4.2-stable
> do not work on 3.2-stable. AFAIU, the problem is that crypt()
> default behaviour is not to use MD5 anymore, and passwords that
> are created though adduser are not recognized on older versions.
> I didn't follow changes into source tree, so I don't know what
> reasons were to change crypt(). From another hand, it's a hack
> to patch adduser in a way it calls crypt with MD5 salt, but maybe
> you have different opinion? What ( if it ever exists) should be
> most elegant way to tackle this problem?

to summarize the situation:
3.2 is pre RSA_PATENT_EXPIRED, US_CRYPTO_EXPORT_CHANGE
 => DES enable by default for USA_RESIDENTS
  => MD5 is default password encryption for you
4.2 is post RSA_PATENT_EXPIRED, US_CRYPTO_EXPORT_CHANGE
 => DES enable by default for almost everyone
  => I don't know the default, but DES and MD5 are possible

a possibly solution:
IMHO you should add DES support to your 3.2-stable setup. (I have done
this, but I don't remember how to do this out of my head)
(DES support is the default for USA_RESIDENT=yes and is possible
 via internat.freebsd.org for USA_RESIDENT=no)

another solution:
change password encryption default to md5 (but I don't know how)

--
mfG
Karl Dietz

E-Shop unter http://www-bs.net.triplan.com/intern/netzwerke.html