Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 20:01:40 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, John Baxter <jbaxter@mmcable.com>, "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: onitoring named

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 07:34:04PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> I'm not sure if your agreeing that this is the most commonly given answer,
> or your stating that most nameserver problems are a result of crack
> attempts.

Both: >95% of the reported problems with named crashes on FreeBSD
lists in the past 4 months have been penetration attempts, or at least
occurred to people running vulnerable versions of named with symptoms
perfectly consistent to being attacked.  Therefore this is the best
initial diagnosis for people reporting problems with their named,
until they go further and rule it out by indicating that they're
already running 8.2.3-REL or a version of 9.x.  At that point more
detailed analysis is obviously required (which perhaps might be better
carried out on the bind support mailing lists).

> Maybe we ought to tell the next person who complains that their
> nameserver is crashing, that this means their ram is bad and to go
> replace it all. ;-)

Well, that's also a possible explanation, but not the most likely one.

Kris

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN--