Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:42:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>, Kevin Walton <kevin@unseen.org>, Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BKTR Audio/Tuning problems

speaking *generally*

FreeBSD looks for the unique id associated with the chip during the probe
and if it isnt a magic number that it knows about, or chooses to look in
the wrong place for some reason, then it never discovers the device
properly.

so, my usual hack in cases like this is to:

1. look at what the pc reports on boot up for the pci devices and jot down
the string ie: "Foobar Technologies Frobish Device"

2. let the box boot to fbsd, su root and run pnpinfo andd look for the id
associated with the string.

3. decide which device i am playing with and go to that code in the
ksource.

4.
  a. hack that number into the detection code ( look for a big switch
statement with weird numbers for each case )

  b. put a kerror or kprintf or whatever it is as the first statement in
the case so i can see if i actually hit the thing during boot.

  c. copy the implementation for *another* device in the same switch block
in to the entry i just created.

5. rebuild the kernel, fixing compiler errors, and putting the kernel in
the root with a weird name so that i remember to reboot with it when i
feel like working on it.

6. reboot the box with my new weirdly named kernel

7. watch the bottmsg and wait to see if
a. my string comes up
b. the kernel panics because the chip is incompatible with the code that i
just asked it to run when i cut and pasted in the other probe code :-)

or

c. it actually sort of half assed works :-)

that's why it's called kernel hacking.....

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life