Date:      Sun, 1 May 2005 13:23:42 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading packages using binaries

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:46:55AM +0200, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:

> > > My question: is there any way to upgrade packages to the latest avail=
able
> > > version on the mirrors
> > Yes, you're using it.
>=20
> In theory, yes. But in practice, no. I've just spend an entire day upgrad=
ing=20
> my ports/packages, constantly keeping my eye on portupgrade so I could fi=
x=20
> the many stumblingblocks that came during the process.=20
>=20
> Portupgrades "fallback" to download from ../Latest/. Several times the la=
test=20
> port didn't meet the version requirement, that portupgrade demanded, so=
=20
> portupgrade bails out. I had to build several ports before portupgrade wo=
uld=20
> continue with the binary upgrade.
>=20
> Less than optimal, and a waste of bandwith, since portupgrade repeatedly=
=20
> downloaded "outdated" packages from the mirrors.

BTW, this is presumably because you upgraded some of your ports from
source recently (to versions newer than those on the ftp site at the
time) and then wanted to update the rest from packages.  If you'd been
using packages only I'd expect it to be satisfied with the packages on
the ftp site.

> > > and/or a way to cvsup the portstree to the version the
> > > binary packages have been built from?
> > No, sorry.  Usually the -stable packages don't get so far behind,
> > except around release time when all the build activity goes there.  I
> > just finished a build and updated them though, so you should be able
> > to retry once your favourite mirror has updated.
>=20
> Would it be possible to check the version of the available package=20
> in ../Latest/ BEFORE downloading? Because then one could compare it with =
the=20
> local installed version and download and install if it were a newer versi=
on?

You'd have to talk to the portupgrade author (or submit a patch),
although he seems to be MIA.

Kris

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--