Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:57:21 -0500
From:      Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
To:        "'8 BSD Qs'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XSetup trouble

I did a quick read of the chapter in Greg's book on X setup and proceeded
to get my hardware info: card chip set, memory, monitor info, etc. I was
unable to get info on my monitor as it was a hand me down and came with no
docs. Though I was running windows 800x600 with 24 bpp just dandy. Windows
no longer exists.

HW is cirrus 5434 set integrated in the Compaq motherboard. Donor PC is a
Compaq Presario 710 75 MHz Pentium with 40 meg ram.

I read the readme on cirrus chips and made appropriate notes. I read the
QuickStart.doc and FreeBSD readme as well. I then ran XF86Setup and all was
going well till I hit 'Done'. It went and crunched some disk then came up
with a message box that said something to the effect of:

	Could not start the X server.

No other info was given. Then the screen went black. A second later it came
up with an eye searing dot pattern with the mouse cursor as a big 'X'. The
mouse is a PS/2 mouse and works fine (i.e. it moves and clicks). I thought
I was done, as in hosed, and without a command prompt. I tried a bunch of
keys and key combos (including the 3 finger salute) to no avail. I also
tried ctl + alt + '+' which is supposed to switch video modes in X?

I didn't want to turn the machine off as that is a bad thing to do. So I
went to brush my teeth and think a little(12:30 am ya know). In the middle
of brushing my teeth the disk starts to crunch like mad. So I figure things
might return to some resemblance of normalness. Crunch crunch crunch.. on
and on and on for about 10 minutes.... Then it stops and I get a larger
version of the dotted screen and mouse cursor. No error messages shown.

So I left it in that state. Dotted screen showing and mouse running. I
turned off the monitor just in case.

This morning I check to see if things had change.. hahaha not a bit
different.

What now? If I just turn it off without the proper shutdown how do I
recover? I don't have the freq info for the monitor, nor is it listed on
the shell. I'm working on getting it from the mfgr. Perhaps this was the
problem. Still, I chose a default range that was good for the card and I
know that the card and monitor can work together from the previous windows
install.

Ideas?

-Michael