Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 04:02:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unixODBC help?

Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru> types:
> hi, there!

> > > works like a charm here.
> > > you do not have to enable ODBC in postgresql7 port because unixODBC has
> > > its own PostgreSQL ODBC driver. There is ongoing work to merge unixODBC
> > > driver with one PostgreSQL has in its tree.
> > Knowing that you've got it working isn't a lot of help. Can you
> > provide details, or pointers to documentation?
> knowing that it does not work for you does not help much either :)
> can you tell what is not working?

Everything.

I know, not much help. Let's see....

Well, the user manual talks about OODBConfig and DataManager, but they
port didn't install them :-(.

Given the clue that I should be looking in the unixODBC port for
drivers, I actually got past the previous problem (errors from
odbcinst). That now seems to work, with template files lifted from the
docs, except to change the database name to one I actually have):

su-2.04# odbcinst -i -d -f /tmp/foobar
[odbcinst] Driver installed. Usage count increased to 3. Target directory is /usr/lib
su-2.04# odbcinst -i -s -f /tmp/foobaz
[odbcinst] Sections and Entries from /tmp/foobar have been added to ODBC.INI

Though the "Target directory is /usr/lib" worries me somewhat.

The isql documentation doesn't actually say what string from the
various template files should be used for the DSN. Trying the obvious
one generates an error:

guru$ isql PostgreSQL
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

I don't see any sign of an sql.log file around.

The eventual goal is to connect with the Applixware Office data
application. Being able to verify that some part of it is working
would be a nice start.

	Thanx,
	<mike