Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:44:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freeway.dcfinc.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   gdb documentation

I have a GDB manual from 1989 (version 3.4) that I generated in a
prior lifetime.  I set out to do the same thing for the version of
GDB (4.16) that is part of FreeBSD.  This is on a 2.2.8-Stable system.

I successfully built TeX and MetaFont.  I built dvips.  I built
Ghostscript and integrated it with my printer spooler.

I generated "refcard.ps" from the distributed "refcard.dvi" and
printed it.

So, emboldened, I went to /usr/src/contrib/gdb/gdb/doc to try to
make the manual.  However, it was clear from the existance of
"Makefile.in" and "configure.in" without their matching files that
"configure" had not been run for this build.  Apparently not
necessary for a "make world".  However, a "./configure" from
/usr/src/contrib/gdb fails.  First being unable to locate a "install-sh".
If I copy one of those into its path from some other GNU directory
it then fails with a missing "config.sub" file.

Should the -stable tree be able to build GNU documentation from any of
the subdirectories?

What steps should I take to generate a current GDB manual?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net