Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 20:45:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back to sysinstall

> > We're working on this.  It presents some unique problems when you
> > attempt to interact with "make world", but there is yet hope.
>
> "make world" would built the packages, then using the currently
> installed package database would only update installed packages.

What happens when you want to *add* to the set of installed things
via make world?  Or when you've made local changes to your src tree,
made the world, and now a binary update comes in for something that
you've updated?  Clearly, you don't want your local mods to be
spammed and this is what requires a fair bit of work.

Believe me, this whole thing is infinitely easy to conceptualize and
has been for at least 3 years.  That's not where the real work or
discussion is.  What takes the real work, and is where you need to
focus your efforts if you're serious about jumping in on this one with
us, is figuring out how to actually IMPLEMENT such a scheme that takes
into account all the possible variants.  Mike and I have both spent a
fair amount of time doing this and can only say that it's a lot harder
than it looks once you start really enumerating the possible upgrade
scenarios.

- Jordan