Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:27:48 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile ML <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Management of Thermal

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Norberto Meijome wrote:
 > On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:29:07 +0200
 > Richard Arends <richard@unixguru.nl> wrote:
 >
 > > > I checked the code in more detail. Unfortunately, the fan_level
 > > > sysctl is NOT present in my system
 > >
 > > Hmm that's strange. Maybe an other acpi call or something like that?
 >
 > hi Richard,
 > well, i  grepped sysctl -a for "fan", not there.

Just browsing:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/acpi_support/acpi_ibm.c

What revision of that have you?  It's not clear to me tha this fan level
stuff, documented with rev 1.10, was ever MFC'd to 6-STABLE.  If I'm
diffing the right versions it appears that it wasn't, and the comment on
1.7.2.3 (6.X) says only 'MFC: 1.11, 1.12', but that seems not so, if I'm
reading the diffs against any of those versions right (incl 1.14 @ 7.0)

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/acpi_support/acpi_ibm.c.diff?r1=text&tr1=1.7.2.3&r2=text&tr2=1.10

 > > > I will follow up in -acpi@ too i think

Not that there hasn't been lots of interesting discussion here, but
I reckon you may do better there, as it's 100% an ACPI issue.  It's
not much busier than -mobile usually.

 > > > dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 95 66 44 92 50 -1 41 -1
 > >
 > > Auch... CPU at 95 degrees, that's not funny.

I'd not known which of these were which before, thanks Richard!

my %sensors = ( "1", "CPU",
                "2", "Mini PCI Module",
                "3", "HDD",
                "4", "GPU",
                "5", "Built-in battery",
                "6", "UltraBay battery",
                "7", "Built-in battery",
                "8", "UltraBay battery");

so your GPU is running pretty hot too ..

 > i know. forget about running QEmu ...
 >
 > I think it could be that my particular version of laptop doesn't
 > trigger that section of the acpi code to be loaded... i know it's
 > supported, as the linux code worked just fine (as per my previous
 > email). but i really dont want to use linux, so i'll be trying 7 soon
 > i think

A fresh start in -acpi might still find something useful for 6-STABLE,
hopefully I won't languish as badly as 5 did after 6 was released :) but
yes I'll be trying 7 now there may be a coherent set of ports/packages.

 > "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
 >    George Santayana

Which is a real bummer when you forget yesterday ..

Cheers, Ian