Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 97 03:52:48 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How can I recover crashed system?

I was trying to do a backup to tape. From the bootup message I thought
the tape was /dev/st0. I tried creating a tar file to this file and it
filled my root partition instead. I quickly deleted the file, but ever
since the partition behaved strange. First it deleted my Os/2 boot
manager and was booting with a hostname = "amnesiac". I tried running
"fsck". After I re-installed the os/2 boot manager now FreeBSD says
there is no kernel to boot.

What is the name of a SCSI tape drive? Does the controller matter? It
is connected to an adaptect 2940.