Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:08:22 +0100
From:      Mark Sandford <j.m.sandford@hotmail.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Using dummynet to restrict bandwidth with more than 2 active pipes / queues

Hi all=2C

=20

I've been using dummynet for a while to perform degraded network testing wh=
ich has been really useful.

=20

Recently=2C we wanted to measure the performance limits of it on our
hardware. To do this we setup a machine with 8 interfaces paired into 4
ethernet bridges.

=20

We are having throughput issues when more than 2 pipes are being used
simultaneously. These issues appear to be independent of the bandwidths
specified.

For example:
We set two traffic generators transmitting at 30Mbps across two of the brid=
ges (pipes)=2C sending 1000 byte UDP packets (1042 bytes on the wire) for a=
 20 second period.

These are passed through dummynet pipes set up to restrict the bandwidth to=
 20Mbps at the bridge and we can see from the ipfw counters that all the pa=
ckets hit the right rules and only the right rules.

We the capture on the far end and can see that bandwidth has been restricte=
d to 20Mbps as specified.  All good!  :o)

The problem comes when we add any extra flows.

The above example is repeated but with two extra traffic generators transmi=
tting at just one packet per second each across a further two pipes.

Again we can see from the counters that the packets all arrive at ipfw=2C h=
owever we only get 10Mbps at the receiving end (and we get a number of pack=
et_drops logged at dummynet).

We feel we must have missed something obvious but after over a week of read=
ing / testing we're running out of ideas.

Is anyone able / willing to help?

Mark Sandford

email: j.m.sandford@hotmail.co.uk
mob: 07990 565976

Celebrate a decade of Messenger with free winks=2C emoticons=2C display pic=
s=2C and more.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/=