Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:29:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Etherboot 2.4 needs newer binutils

I need some wisdom on how to proceed.  Since version 2 of Etherboot they
are using the new data32 features of the Linux binutils.  I know it works in
binutils-2.9.1.0.25 which you can get from kernel.org or a mirror such as:
	http://kernel.stuph.org/pub/linux/devel/gcc

I built it on -current after figuring the right host to pass to configure
(it doesn't pick it up right without help).  I installed the result as-new
into /usr/local/bin and then modified the Etherboot Makefile to use it.

Now I guess I have 2 questions:
     1)	When might this feature come into FreeBSD?  Do we wait until this
	comes into the GNU release of binutils?
     2) Do I make this a port so we can upgrade to the latest Etherboot
	release?

Since they do a fair amount of active work I would like to track their
latest stuff which currently we can't because our gas doesn't support
"data32".

Thanks,

Doug A.