Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 1995 17:25:23 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius), evanc@synapse.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystems

>> > Also, I noted there is a LFS filesystem.  Not having the LFS
>> > documentation around, the name sort of implies that LFS is a
>> > journalled filesystem.  I also note that it is brand new with 4.4BSD.
>> > Does the LFS work and how good is it at quick recoveries?
>>
>>   4.4BSD LFS is broken.
>
>It has not been updated with all the VM/Buffer cache changes. I think it
>lacks recovery tools too. I heard that LFS has been worked on in
>4.4BSD-Lite2, maybe we should have a look.
>--
>Ollivier ROBERT     -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-     roberto@FreeBSD.ORG
>FreeBSD keltia 2.0-BUILT-19950503 #3: Wed May  3 19:53:04 MET DST 1995

I've had Margo Seltzer's patch set that went into 4.4-Lite2 since just
before their USENIX review.  While the patches do give the FS fragment
support, it does nothing about some very large efficiency issues that make
it less than what it could be.

I've promised before to fix LFS, and I promise it again now, but I intend
to work with Peter Dufault on shoring up some problems in the SCSI system
first.  The SCSI problems affect more people then LFS. :)

LFS shows tremendous potential, but it will need a lot of work and, as
Ollivier points out, more utilities like lfsck in order for it to be
practical.  Anyone interested in working on the project, should drop me
a piece of mail and I can point you in the right direction on getting LFS
working again.  I hope to be working on it again in about a months time.
--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM