Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:46:42 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

Joseph Scott wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > Joseph Scott wrote:

> > > ROFL!!!  I'm sorry, I realize this you were serious here, but when I read
> > > I almost did fall down laughing.  This part just kills me :
> > >
> > >  "if you want to install a secure system and don't know what you're doing
> > > ..."
> >
> > Keep right on laughing, while thinking about the staff of "IT Professionals"
> > installing and maintaing the internet gateway at your bank, your city gov't,
> > and your local utilities.  It is not a laughing matter.
>
>         The laughing part came from the idea that just because they used a
> system that installs out of the box in a secure manner doesn't mean they
> won't then go on to screw it up.  I'm not claiming this as reason to give
> up on having a default of a secure install, simply that a secure install
> is not a silver bullet.
>
>         Looking at all the different systems that I interact with as a
> consumer, yes it makes me more than a little nervous how most
> companies/utilities/etc "manage security".
>
>         Strangely enough I was asked to interview for a job that they'd
> tried to fill on three different occassion's in past.  Their problem
> : getting people to apply that new more than "I can display the files in a
> directory using ls".  And those were the college grads :-(

<plug>
There's a new book out by John Taylor Gatto called "The Underground
History of American Education," available from
http://www.laissezfairebooks.com. It's the story of how a quarter
billion kids' brains have been deliberately savaged by American schools.
It explains a lot in a lot of areas of American society. Highly
recommended! My mother, a died-in-the-wool Dem, called it "horrifying",
and there was no doubt in my mind that she believed at least 99% of it.
</plug>
--
Donald Wilde                        "Linking Minds and Micros"