Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:07:39 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tomi_H=E4s=E4?= <tomi.hasa@tut.fi>
To:        Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>, <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Readme for Windows Users

Greetings,

On 27 Jun 2002, Wouter Van Hemel wrote:

> But if you get there a level higher through a link, you don't see them.
> That's probably how most people get there... they probably don't know the
> tree as well as some of us who can see it scrolling through their dreams
> (nightmares?).
>
> Well, that's exactly what I meant by readme-file. Tomi, do you remember
> where the reference (or link) was that you followed to get there? Maybe we
> can add a fast link to this readme there too.

Here are the steps I went through:

[1] Google Search: "freebsd" -> "http://www.freebsd.org/"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&q=freebsd

[2] "The FreeBSD Project" -> "Handbook"
http://www.freebsd.org/

[3] "FreeBSD Handbook" -> "FreeBSD FTP server"
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html

[4] "Index of ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/" -> "handbook"
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/

[5] "Index of ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/handbook"
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/handbook

On step [4] I missed the "README", which doesn't tell anything about those
mysterious .tar.gz, tar.bz2, tar.zip files. OK, it says "In addition,
documents are compressed with the GNU Zip, regular Zip, and BZip2
format.", but that doesn't tell me anything. This might be better: "In
addition, documents are compressed with the GNU Zip (.gz), regular Zip
(.zip), and BZip2 (.bz2) format." That clarifies things.

Tomi Häsä