Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:12:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Color ls

FYI, I had a similar issue with dtterm coming into a FreeBSD box
from SCO UnixWare 7.

DTTERM does color, but the DTTERM /etc/termcap didn't work for
vim.

Adding the same lines to the dtterm termcap as for xterm-color fixed
it as well.

Larry

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Matthew Hunt wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know why XFree86's xterm, as shipped, doesn't set
> > TERM to xterm-color?  Is it for fear of an xterm-color entry
> > not existing (either on the local machine, or machines you
> > telnet/ssh to from the xterm)?
>
> ok, next question.
>
> If that's the case, why don't we change our termcap so that "xterm" and
> "xterm-color" are the same thing, and "xterm-mono" is there for people
> who _reall_ don't want color, or have a monochrome display, or whatever.
> It seems really dumb not to have colour by default, but perhaps there's
> a good reason.
>
> /me runs away for fear of annoying people by even daring to suggest this.
>
> --
> Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
> FreeBSD Documentation Project /
-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!