Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:13:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Todd Cohen <cohentl@clarkson.edu>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: acroread4

You're right, I'm sorry... Yeah, I have an older AlphaStation 200, I'll
try acroread 3. Thanks for you help.

-Todd

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Todd Cohen writes:
>  > I installed acroread4 via the ports collection and when I try to run it I
>  > get the following:
>  >
>  > bash-2.03$ acroread4
>  > Illegal instruction
>  >
>  > Any ideas? Anyone know of an alternative to use for now?
>  >

> You failed to give almost any information about your configuration.
> When you have a problem, please at least include the version of
> FreeBSD you are running and the platform you are running it on.
>
> I'm *guessing* you're running on a machine which does not support
> byte/word instructions (LCA, EV4, EV45, or EV5), am I right?
> According a wheezing old EV5 box running Tru64, acroread4 contains
> instructions for newer CPUs which it needs to emulate:
>
> % /usr/pkg/Acrobat4/bin/acroread
> inst emulated pid=11774 <acroread> va=0x11fffeeb0 pc=0x120058df0 inst=0x37ef0090
>
> I don't know what 0x37ef0090 is & don't have time to look it up, but
> given that it doesn't work on a 21164 and works on my Miata at home,
> I'm guessing that its a bwx instruction.  Unfortunately, FreeBSD
> doesn't support instruction emulation, so you're SOL right now.
>
> Fortunately, I think that 3.x version of Acrobat will be OK (at least
> the same Tru64 box does not spit out any messages about emulated
> instructions).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew

http://www.clarkson.edu/~cohentl
"Sometimes crazy things happen in circuits." - Muku, 1999
"The answers to lifes problems aren't at the bottom of bottles, they're on
 TV" - Homer J. Simpson