Date:      Sun, 11 May 2008 22:54:06 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
To:        dikshie <dikshie@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any available patches for sata: "ad4: warning - setfeatures set transfer mode taskqueue timeout - completing request directly"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 02:14:37PM +0900, dikshie wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 01:17:16PM +0900, dikshie wrote:
> >> and strange output from dmesg:
> >> ad4: 305245MB <WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 12.01B02> at ata2-master UDMA33
> >>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> any available patches ?
> >
> > What's strange about this?
>
> i mean for "UDMA33" it should be SATA300
> do have to upgrade BIOS?

Your carets are pointing to the drive firmware revision, which is why I
was confused.  :-) Yes, it should say either SATA150 or SATA300 (more on
that in a moment), but based on your dmesg output, it appears your SATA
controller does not have an attached driver, thus is operating
generically.  Andrey recommended showing pciconf -lv output; please do.

Your drive is *probably* operating in SATA150/300 mode, despite UDMA33
being printed, however.  Assuming you know your disk can push >33MB/sec,
you could try some simple read I/O and use gstat to watch the speed.
dd if=/dev/ad4 of=/dev/null bs=1m should suffice.

Regarding SATA150 vs. SATA300: your drive has a physical jumper,
labelled OPT1 in the below photo, which limits the drive to SATA150
capability.  You can remove this jumper and get SATA300.  This doesn't
explain the UDMA33 issue, though.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1400&p_created=1134597011

Also, please don't remove the mailing list from the CC; others need to
know what information you've provided, and future users may find this
thread useful.