Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 1995 20:54:06 -0400
From:      Allyn Hardyck <allynh@avsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   More basic questions

I'm trying to set up a DOS and FreeBSD partition on this disk.
The FDISK that's on the boot floppy gives output like this:

Offset	Size	End	Name	PType	Desc	Subtype Flags
0	63	62	- 	6 	unused	0
63	6993	7055	wd0s3	1	unknown	18
7056	1022112	1029167	wd0s1	2	fat	6
1029168	3024	1032191	-	6	unused	0

1) Are the 4 entries the 4 "slices" of the diskspace FAQ?

2) It seems like entry 3 is the one I have to modify yet the docs
   say only "unused" entries are modifiable.  Obviously I have to
   do something with the "fat" partition yet I'm not sure which of
   the slices holds the info that decides which partition is to be
   booted (and what program decides that?  Is that already in slice
   1 or do I have to install the prompting program somehow?)

   So I imagined the slices being:

   slice 1 prompting program
   slice 2 DOS
   slice 3 FreeBSD

   Which of the 4 slices above are to be the 3 I need?  And which
   is(are) the one(s) I shouldn't touch under any circumstances?

This wasn't an issue before since when I installed FreeBSD previously
I used the whole disk.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Allyn Hardyck
allynh@avsi.com