Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 07:58:34 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
Cc:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared memory - Was: 2 Queries

* Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com> [000301 03:54] wrote:
> > In any case, one major offender is imlib.  Since I've recently gone
> > Gnome, I've had to turn off imlib's "MIT-SHM shared memory" option
> > or things would go bad after a few minutes or hours of use.
>
> That explains the errors when running xchat, but that doesnt explain
> Netscape ;)

Yes it does.

Since all your programs run as _you_ then it's entriely possible that
imlib went apesh*t and did something nasty to the wrong shared segment.

> The annoying thing about this is that if a program decides to die because
> of this error, it seems I've got a 50/50 chance that it's taken out for
> good.  I have to reboot to reclaim memory >:(

no you don't, see below...

> It'd be nice if we had a utility that could clean out and reclaim the
> shared memory in 1 swoop.  Then we'd be able to shut down XFree86 (and
> obviously any other apps using shared memory), and get on with life :)
>
> (anyone listening?)

er, yes this is entirely possible.

If you want to clear SHM then use 'ipcs' to list and 'ipcrm' to delete.

I used to have a shell script to do this, but i don't know where it
went.