Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 2009 04:42:38 -0700
From:      Michael David Crawford <mdc@prgmr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does one call name server registration?

Valentin and Olivier,

Thank you very much for your kind help.

I think what I needed were *both* NS and GLUE records.  The NS record
establishes a host as a nameserver, and the GLUE record allows the name
server's own domain name to be within the domain it is the name server
for - that is, GLUE records prevent infinite loops when looking up the
domain it is a part of.

I found a page in NameScout's Help section that said that if I just
enter a totally new name server into my domain admin, they would take
care of registering it automatically.  That seems to have worked, but it
was not at all obvious that that's what I needed to do.

They also don't have any kind of automated interface for changing the
name server info - one has to email tech support to do that.

I could see it causing a lot of trouble, if confused users enter
incorrect info, and NameScout interprets that as a request to establish
NS and GLUE records for a new name server!

Clearly, I myself have a lot of studying to do.

The Wikipedia article on the Domain Name System is very helpful, for
anyone else wanting info on this topic.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc@prgmr.com

    prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

       Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen