Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:23:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0 crashes/reboots

I have 3 boxes that have each run 3.0-RELEASE and 3.0-CURRENT
(approx 11/18 and 11/24 versions of current).  All have completed
at least one make world. Two of them, a dual P133 and a single
PPro 200 both with SCSI only, have not crashed.

The third, a dual P166 with IDE only, has crashed three times,
twice running RELEASE and once running CURRENT as of 11/24.  Two
of the three crashes were with a NFS mounted /usr/ports, at the
time the first there were no NFS mounts.

This leads me to ask, are the people seeing crashes using IDE?
Are any SCSI folks experiencing them?

Just to shoot down my own theory, I also have a single P166 with
IDE only running 3.0-19981009-BETA that has not crashed.
`Light' doesn't begin to describe the usage that box gets.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null